Life at Camp
- Day Camp: For Day Campers there is an opportunity to go on one pony ride during the week.
- Discovery Camps: For Discovery Camps, there will be a horse experience each full day of camp.
- Jr. Boys, Jr. Girls & quest: Campers will have 3 opportunities to interact with horses.
- Horsemanship Camps: Campers will have 2-3 program blocks per full day of camp interacting with horses or taking part in horse care activities.
- Jr. Skills Zao, Sr. Boys, Sr. Girls & Sr. Skills Shefa: Campers who sign up for the Horseback Riding Out-Trip at Sr. Girls or Sr. Boys, or the Horsemanship Track at Zao or Shefa, will spend half of each day in their specific skill area. The other half of the day is spent in activities that the camper chooses to sign up for.
- Sr. Girls and Sr. Boys campers will also then spend their 5 day Out-Trip riding.
- Zao & Shefa campers will also have a half-day trail ride to get to the site of their overnight trip (The other half of the day is spent in activities that the camper chooses to sign up for).
- Breakaway and Plunge: Campers do activities based on a sign-up basis, and riding is always a choice for them. The amount of riding time will depend entirely on what the camper chooses to sign up for.
What to Bring
- Please label all clothing and luggage with labels or indelible markers.
- Please attempt to bring modest clothing appropriate for physical camp activities.
- Cell phones (we have a no cell phone policy, including using it for music, alarm clock or camera. Please bring a separate camera if you want to take photos.)
- All other electronic games, players, entertainment and communication devices (i.e. iPods, iPads, etc.)
- Jack knives, hunting knives, matches or lighters (pocket knives for Out-Trips are permitted for Sr. Boys and Sr. Girls camps ONLY)
- Nuts and/or peanut products
- Inappropriate reading materials
- Alcoholic beverages, narcotics or tobacco products (see note)
We ask that parents include payment for spending money with the camper’s registration. Spending money is credited to a tuck account for your child, deductions are made when your child makes a purchase, and any unspent amount is transferred to our scholarship program unless otherwise specified.
Limits allowed: Maximum allowance of $2 of candy/day plus one chocolate bar and/or an additional chocolate bar and a soda. At Lodge Camps (Sundre) tuck is every other day.
Please note: Regular camp fees do not include tuck shop purchases, camp photos, clothing, or souvenirs.
Arrival and Departure Days
Pioneer Ranch camp sessions, Rocky Mountain House: Parents driving campers, registration is at 3:30 pm.
Pioneer Lodge: is located 1.5 hours from Calgary’s City Centre, 3 hours from Edmonton’s City Centre, and 1.5 hours from Red Deer.
Pioneer Ranch: is about a 2.5 – 3 hour drive from both Edmonton and Calgary and about 1 hour and 15 minute Drive from Red Deer, travel times being from the edge of each city.
- Sign-out is on the last day of camp at 10:00 am.
- Sign-out is on the last day of camp at 10:30 am.
We cannot release children to the custody of anyone except their parent or guardian unless we have received written authorization signed by the parent or legal guardian to release the camper to another individual.
Communication during Camp
- Mary Smith (Jr. Girls Camp)
- c/o Pioneer Lodge
- Box 660
- Sundre, AB
- T0M 1X0
- Mary Smith (Sr. Girls Camp)
- c/o Pioneer Ranch
- Box 600,
- Rocky Mountain House, AB
- T4T 1A4
Our Caring Staff
Health and Safety
- There is a qualified medical person on staff, available 24 hours a day.
- Pioneer Camp leadership staff are trained in First Aid in CPR.
- Our Kitchen Supervisors have Food Safety Handlers Certificates.
- Quality, nutritional meals are provided with a variety of healthy snack options at snack times.
- Drinking water is lab analyzed regularly for quality.
- Our facilities are inspected on a regular basis and are up to code.
- Our staff are trained in emergency procedures and safety protocols should they need to be implemented.
- All campers must provide a valid health number and completed medical information on application. Out-of-province campers must have medical insurance.
- Emergency Services are available within minutes of camp property (Pioneer Lodge, Sundre is 20 minutes; Pioneer Ranch, Rocky Mountain House is 15 minutes).
- Pioneer Lodge, Sundre is 20 minutes away from a medical clinic and Sundre Hospital.
- Pioneer Ranch, Rocky Mountain House is 15 minutes away from Rocky Mountain House Health Centre.
If a camper arrives with lice/nits, they will be asked:
- To return home to receive treatment until they are lice/nit free. (We will make every effort to accommodate the camper in a later session during the summer.)
- Complete treatment(s) at camp (approximately $30/treatment)
Registration & Camper Fees
Roommate requests should be of the same age or grade.
Enter the friend’s name on the online application when you are registering your child. Please provide first and last name of the friend with correct spelling (partial names are not helpful). If you want to add a roommate request after you have registered your child, please contact the Camp Office and we can add that to your child’s registration information.
Sr. Boys & Sr. Girls camp sessions: Housing for these sessions are based on Out-Trips. For friends to be together in the same cabin, they MUST BE in the same Out-Trip option in order to be roomed together.
We ask that friend requests are limited to two friends per camper. Large groups (4 or more) may be separated to accommodate other camper’s needs.
Rooming requests are not guaranteed, but we will do our absolute best to accommodate your camper’s request and help them and their friends have a memorable time at camp!
- Transportation to and from the camp
- Cost of any prescription medications that must be filled for your child while they are at camp
- Cost of returning lost and found items or left behind medications/prescriptions.
- Cost of lice treatments (should your child require them)
- Tuck Shop purchases
Day Camp Cancellation Policy: If you cancel more than two weeks prior to the start of camp, you will receive a full refund less a $50/week administration fee.
Family Camp Cancellation Policy: If you cancel more than two weeks prior to the start of camp, you will receive a full refund less a $25/person/week administration fee.
Overnight Camp Cancellation Policy: If you cancel more than two weeks prior to the start of camp, you will receive a full refund less a $75/week administration fee.
All Camps: If a cancellation occurs after the cut-off date, you will get NO REFUND (includes camp fees, out-trip fees) except for medical reasons with a note from a doctor. In that case, you will get a full refund less the administration fee. No refund will be made for dismissals due to disciplinary action, late arrivals or early departures. Withdrawal during camp on physician’s orders will result in the value of fees for the unexpired term being refunded. Please contact camp office for cancellation details for out-trips and/or transportation fees.
PCA Transportation Cancellation Policy: If you cancel more than one week prior to the start of camp, you will receive a full refund. If a cancellation occurs after the cut-off date, you will receive a 50% refund of the transportation fee. Exception: medical reasons with a note from the doctor (full refund).